Safeguarding information about social media activity
Important Safeguarding information about recent social media activity 4th December 2017
The school has been made aware by Hampshire County Council of some highly inappropriate use of social media involving students at local schools.
In order to safeguard our students the following information has been shared with them. Please can you speak with them about it. If you need any further advice or support, please see the links off the school website or contact the school directly via Main Reception on 02392 364399 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information shared with students
- On 29th November 2017 a schoolgirl was blackmailed into sending an indecent video of her on Snapchat. Once the offender had the video he then distributed this online via Snapchat to many other children.
- If you have received this explicit video on Snapchat or by any other means, you must delete it immediately.
- If you show this video to someone else or forward it on to other people, you will be committing a criminal offence, which the police may investigate and potentially prosecute.
- Keep yourself safe by never sending any indecent photograph or video to anyone online. If you are approached online to do this, always tell your parents or a teacher. You can never know who you are speaking to online.
- If anyone has any knowledge of who the person was, what his snapchat username, phone number or other linked social media is, or has any other relevant information, please tell your teacher straight away. This can be done in private.